After being away for 14 weeks, I made my way back to work this past Monday (June 13th)! It was WEIRD walking up to the 8th floor of the hospital ... very weird! And honestly, I really didn't enjoy heading back. I woke up that morning and got ready with my am routine. It was odd. My Mom was here to watch Graham for the day. I kept thinking to myself how, I think I'm supposed to cry ... but tears never came. I kissed Graham goodbye, he was asleep, and headed out. I think I didn't get upset because I knew he was in GREAT hands all day long. My Mom sent me toonnnnns of text messages with pictures of him throughout my shift (that was so nice)! Anyway ... work was INSANE!!!!! We've had the first massive turnover on the floor (ever) ... so I showed up and barely knew anyone (not a cool feeling for such an intense unit!) My day was pretty rough as I attempted to learn the new computer ordering system and get back in the swing of it. I felt like I was at a totally new job ... new team of nurses, new patients, AND new charting! Our unit was always full of verrrry experienced nurses that had been there for 10+ years ... it was so comforting to know the amount of expertise that surrounded me. Anyway ... now I'm one of the ones that's been there the longest! So that's hard to swallow. Anyway ... the shift was rough, didn't eat till 4pm (I haven't missed those days), barely sat, and felt like I was a new nurse. But I made it :) And as soon as I headed out that evening I totally forgot about all the craziness of my shift and could NOT wait to get home and see Graham. I rushed home faster than probably safe ... sprinted to the shower to rid the germs of the hospital ... and scooped up my precious baby!!! He was ready for a feed when I got home, so I was more than happy to feed him. THEN my second day back was this past Thursday ... it was a little more emotional. I left sleeping Graham in the am as Caleb watched him. Caleb did such a fantastic job with him all day. He continued Graham's regime perfectly and kept him very entertained. Caleb sent me lots of pictures too. My Mom came over twice to keep Graham while Caleb worked out and had a little break! My day was fast and furious which was good ... I rushed home once again and entered the house to a peacefully sleeping baby! The tears started when I realized it had been over 24 hours since Graham had seen me :'( BUT he was happy, full, and resting ... so I wasn't about to wake him. I got ready for bed and tried to sleep ... I really laid there anticipating his first whimper, because I couldn't wait to see him!!!! Anyway ... as soon as he woke I was so happy to hold my bundle of JOY and feed him!!!! It had been way too long!! He is the sweetest baby ever! My shifts are going to be rough being away from Graham ... but I am so so so SO thankful that it's only going to be twice a week ... AND Graham has the best people ever watching him! And I'm sure once I get familiar with work again I'll re-love it all over. We are enjoying our days with Caleb home, and celebrating his First Father's Day tomorrow!!! He got his gifts early and is enjoying a game of golf today (with some new clubs)! I'll post pictures Monday of our fun weekend!!
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment